Thursday, July 19, 2007

WikiNotables #1


dkmon199

thought train:
1. that's a pensive look
2. the possibilities of what a pensive looking person might be thinking is infinite
3. god i wish i can read minds
4. wasn't there a story of some malicious woman who read the thoughts of kids?
5. probably a kids' book
6. ooh, something involving an ear...oh gross yeah an extra ear in the back of the head or something strange like that?
7. malicious woman with power over kids, what kind of relationship is that...like, a teacher?
8. AH! WAYSIDE SCHOOL gets a little stranger!
9. duh, should've done a Google search earlier...let's see what kind of Wikilegacy it left behind
10. answer: an inspiring one! (though apparently one of questionable quality)

Louis Sachar, the author, on how he came to write the Wayside School series:

I returned to college, this time to the University of California at Berkeley where I majored in economics. On campus one day, I saw the unlikely sight of an elementary school girl handing out flyers. I took one from her. It said: "Help. We need teachers aides at our school. Earn three units of credit." I thought it over and decided it was a pretty good deal. College credits, no homework, no term papers, no tests, all I had to do was help out in a second/third grade class at Hillside Elementary School. Besides helping out in a classroom, I also became the Noontime Supervisor, or "Louis the Yard Teacher" as I was known to the kids. It became my favorite college class, and a life changing experience. When I graduated in 1976 I decided to try to write a children's book, which eventually became Sideways Stories From Wayside School. All the kids at Wayside School were based on the kids I knew at Hillside. It took me about nine months to write the book. I wrote in the evenings. In the daytime I had a job at a sweater warehouse in Connecticut. After about a year, I was fired (my enthusiasm for sweaters was insufficient), and I decided to go to law school. Sideways Stories from Wayside School was accepted by a publisher during my first week at Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco.


this is the kind of story that reminds me that there is only so much life planning one can do, that so much of our lives are influenced by factors beyond our control and that there's really no need to stress out about the future...you just need to open yourself up to all the possibilities out there and follow those which suit your tastes. it's like those Choose Your Own Adventure books, except for real.

man, it seems like children's books have got it all figured out!
(to do: reread The Little Prince)

No comments: