Friday, July 13, 2007

i used to smoke five packs of cigarettes a day


dkmon193

i spent forty minutes going through myTunes trying to find this song, the only bit of which looping in my head was the trumpet break at the beginning...no helpful lyrics, just that opening melody. i wasn't even sure if there was any singing involved, though i had a vague idea that there was possibly a throaty vocal tossed in the mix. i tried my luck at Songtapper.com, but knew for sure it wasn't Sunday Bloody Sunday (U2), Playmate of the Year (Zebrahead), or Gay Bar (Electric Six), so i resigned myself to playing songs going back from May 07 (my library is ordered by Date Added) and literally yelped when i finally heard that trumpet opener, blaring all the way from Jan 2:

Otis Clay - Trying to Live My Life Without You
*this is supposed to be the whole song, but i keep hearing only segments at this link...i don't know whether that's just my computer/unbearably slow internet speed, or what, but hopefully you'll be able to hear at least the first bit.

man, i really need to redirect this kind of persistence towards less trivial pursuits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I was looking for the song with "...hardest thing I'll ever do..." and getting nowhere. By the way, Otis Clay has another great tune, "That's How It Is" which begins, "Somebody please take my hand and slap some sense into me"!!
baldwin@uleth.ca

Anonymous said...

I personally love the Bob Seger version of this tune especially from "nine tonight" check it foooo