Thursday, February 08, 2007

introducing a new breed

*EDIT - I forgot to name the music for this piece:
Snack n C'mish - Palms Out Mix vol.1 - Midnight Run
Also, to distinguish these from regular dkmons, I'll be labeling them under muse.ic, but continuing the count.

muse.ic38

I have music playing almost all the time, and with a growing bookmark folder already packed with diligently updated mp3 blogs (combined with my avid collector spirit), I am finding myself aurally inhaling hundreds of songs at a time without really stopping to savor the subtle flavors in each. Since this could lead to a serious case of binge-hearing, I've decided that as part of my dkmon project, I will choose songs to analyze, dissect, and articulate visually--an exercise that seems to be a natural progression of the course of my interests over the past half-year...

When I took animation over the summer, I became familiar with the powerful correlation between sight and sound. Though I've seen enough music videos and Looney Tunes cartoons to know that the two work closely together, I wasn't really aware of this correlation as expressed in films by innovative "visual musicians" as Oscar Fischinger(whose work was solicited and then mutilated by Disney for Fantasia) and Norman McLaren, where it appears as an abstraction of the senses which attempts to articulate a certain philosophy of art that extends beyond aesthetics and includes the spiritual. In my art history class during fall term, I learned that Wassily Kandinsky (whom some claim as the Father of Abstraction) likewise based his methodical analysis of the psychological properties of color, form and arrangement on the "spiritual vibrations" he felt while listening to music, which he explored in depth in his Composition and Improvisation series.

While I'm not so sure I would call them "spiritual vibrations", I do believe that there is a visual vocabulary for music, as with anything else. Though the principles are pretty much the same as those which govern graphic arts, I find myself reluctant to equate such a commercial expression with something I find so personal...hm.

Maybe I would call them spiritual vibrations after all...

In any case, this will be my last post until Sunday. I'm headed back up to school for some business and pleasure, and will report back on whether they should indeed be unmixed.

No comments: