Friday, April 13, 2007

old school

dkmon101

dkmon102

After my Powerbook crashed during finals period fall term, I moved all my music to an external hard drive, keeping only songs added since 2006. Since then, I've gone back to dig up songs that pop up in my head from time to time, but the constant stream of new music is usually enough to satisfy my aural fix. Recently, however, I was in a car when Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle" came on the radio and, as the VIP backseat lounge party broke out into a furious lip sync/dance extravaganza, I realized that I may have been too rash in cutting off my old musical friends, especially after all we'd been through together. One of the best things about music is its ability to conjure up old memories in the most immediate, tangible way, and here I was, depriving myself of self-indulging nostalgia! And so it is that I'm awake at 6am, listening to the resurrected likes of Madonna, 2Pac, Nirvana, Incubus and Cake...if I'm going to be reminded of how quickly time passes anyway, I might as well indulge in a little sweet reminiscing.
Lemonade, folks. Lemonade.

(though lemons also conjure up some fond memories...but that was before I even started listening to music. more of a smell/touch memory, now that i think of it, not even so much taste. the warm, moist air steaming, hovering over the sweet earth, the swelling symphony of birds and bugs with the woodwind section blowing through the trees...and those plastic zip-lock bags, sticky with citrus. yeahhh, childhood...when's the last time you thought about yours? do it now, it'll make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, which is necessary if you didn't pack any winter clothes with you for school because it's SPRING term, not to mention april, and just when you thought spring was here because it was a sunny 40 degrees on Wednesday, BAM. more snow! I must admit, it is very pretty...makes me think, if we hadn't set up such seasonal expectations, perhaps we'd be able to appreciate the surprises of nature as they come--another reason why we should just never expect anything, eh?)

No comments: